The present Village of New Auburn, the approximate site of Cartwright Mill, was founded in 1875 by David J. and Paul W. Cartwright. To the original sawmill, powered by steam, they added a lath, shingle and planing mill.
Some of the buildings were made of brick, manufactured in the local brickyard. The second of these buildings was constructed by C.M. Tarr and still stands. Cartwright Mill had five stores, a post office, the Omaha Railroad and a population of 336. When incorporated as a village in 1902, the name was changed from Cartwright Mill to Auburn and later to New Auburn.