This is Chippewa Falls' oldest industry. In 1867, Jacob Leinenkugel, the son of a Bavarian brewmaster, came to northern Wisconsin searching for a promising location to build a brewery. He settled on this spot, purchasing the land from lumberman Hiram S. Allen. Forming a partnership with friend John Miller (no relation to Miller Brewing Company), they founded what was then called the Spring Brewery.
Here is where Jacob Leinenkugel found the essentials for brewing truly exceptional beers; pure spring water from the Big Eddy Springs and access to the finest barley and hops. For sixteen years the original partnership continued with Jacob Leinenkugel functioning as the brewer and John Miller selling the beer. Miller sold his interest to Leinenkugel in 1883. A major building program was undertaken in 1890 with the building of a new brewhouse. In 1898 Leinenkugel incorporated the business, naming it the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company.
Once only available to the locals, Leinenkugel's popularity has grown and is now sold in many states - predominantly in the Upper Midwest. Quality standards remain unchanged as Leinenkugel's brewing process still uses the finest ingredients and handcrafted brewing methods. Today, Leinenkugel's fifth generation takes pride in the brewing of beers carrying the family name.
Historic Marker #21