The County of Chippewa, through its local legislative body, decided in 1894 to build a county asylum and in 1895 the main building was erected, and other improvements on a farm of 240 acres were made. The farm located 2 miles east of the city is on the banks of the Chippewa River and overlooks beautiful country across the river from the home for the Feeble Minded. The first patient was received December 26, 1895 and the number of patients in 1912 was around 75.
The first recorded burial was William M. Monroe November 26, 1900. Row 2, Site 25
The next recorded burial was Mary N. Hill July 31, 1901. Row 1, Site 1
The last recorded burial was Robert Page June 25, 1955